Sunday, April 28, 2013

Happy Birthday, Carolyn Jones!


Carolyn Jones was born on April 28, 1930, in Amarillo, Texas. Although she had early success in her career, including being nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in The Bachelor Party (1957), she is best known as the first screen incarnation of Charles Addams' creation, Morticia, in The Addams Family television series (1964 - 1966).

Carolyn Jones played the much beloved character of Morticia as a dark beauty with poise, elegance and grace. She also exuded warmth, and more often than not, sported a mischievous twinkle in her eye. Her on-screen chemistry with her co-star, John Astin, who played her husband, Gomez, has become the stuff of legend. She died, far too young, on August 3, 1983, after a battle with cancer.


16 comments:

  1. i love her too! i think she's the only one capable of portraying Morticia to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Narcissus Oddblogger,

      I absolutely adore her as Morticia! She was perfect! :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize she'd died so young. I always loved her and Astin together ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Insomniac's Attic,

      She died far too young. Terribly sad. Yes, Carolyn Jones and John Astin were incredible together. The best on-screen, romantic couple ever!

      Delete
  3. A perfect role model for other mothers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I never liked the movie remakes as well as the old TV series and I really think it was trying to replace the actors such as Carolyn Jones with the new ones used in the movies. Just didn't have that same magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,

      I enjoyed the movies, but there was something so special about the TV series! Carolyn Jones will always be my favourite Morticia!

      Delete
  5. The old TV Series was just the best!!! I loved her so much!!

    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LuLu,

      Are you back blogging again?

      I adore the old series. Fortunately, I have it all on DVD, so I can watch it over and over. My son loves it too, so I have proudly passed the torch on to the next generation. :)

      Delete
  6. Always loved her. Some have called Morticia the original Goth chick. I must concur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nightwind,

      Yes, she was the original and the best! :)

      Delete
  7. She definitely was the best Morticia ^^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!