Monday, June 25, 2012

Ken Turner's Captivating Freak Show

A while back, I did a post on illustrator, animator and owner of Freak Show Studios, Ken Turner (here). I had stumbled upon his work serendipitously when a Google search for Tim Burton's, Dark Shadows, turned up some of Ken's fabulous caricatures of the cast.

Tim Concept Art and Character Models

Since then, I've been delving a tad further into Ken's portfolio of work, and I discovered a little gem in the form of a short stop motion animated film he made in 2007, called Tim, which is an homage to Tim Burton's brilliant short film, Vincent. Not only is Tim a treat for anyone with a love of the Burtonesque aesthetic but it is also a really poignant tale that will resonate with those of us who can relate to being something of a misfit. You can watch Tim below:


TiM (2007) from Ken Turner on Vimeo.



The World of Snowboy and Crow

Ken's latest offering is the first installment of a darkly charming animated series called The World of Snowboy and Crow. To view it and to see more of Ken's work visit the Ken Turner Blog.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi linnea-maria,

      Yes, not only is it visually wonderful, but the story is quite moving too!

      Delete
  2. Very awesome stuff. I bet that film took crazy long to make too, stop motion is so time consuming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Slowdeath,

      I agree, awesome indeed! :) I think any animation, but particularly stop motion, requires incredible passion and dedication.

      Delete
  3. I just watched and enjoyed the "Tim" video. I got a kick out of the "What Child is This?" song playing during the intro and credits. :) There were a lot of little details and references to Tim Burton movies in this, starting with the "Big Fish" type lettering in the trees. I liked those flying saucers with the light bulbs for bottoms too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justine,

      Yes, I've watched the video several times and I keep picking up new little details. :) I think my favourite part is the encounter with the priest and Timothy's Spot in Hell. Visually it's fantastic and it has a dark humour that appeals to me, but at the same time it has a serious message about the psychological trauma that supposedly well-intentioned authority figures can inflict on young children.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I loved this. I watched it again to see if I could pick up anything new. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie,

      Yes, it's cool isn't it?!! Chock full of Burton-y goodness! :D

      Delete
  5. Anything that has a Tim Burton vibe to it is good in my book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely love the quirky art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adsila,

      Yes, Ken's illustrative style is just my cup of tea! :)

      Delete
  7. I love this! Thanks for discovering Ken Turner for me~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica,

      Yes, I love it too and I'm very glad I discovered his work and was able to share. :)

      Delete
  8. I've got a Leibster award for you...come check it out

    http://mda4life.blogspot.com/2012/07/thanks-grimm-for-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!