Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Monster Madness - The Monster and His Mate

Elsa Lanchester and Boris Karloff as The Monster and his Mate in Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Welcome to day one of May Monster Madness, a sinisterly spooky scheme spawned by Annie Walls and nefariously nurtured with the help of her diabolical deputies (Ked and I). For the next seven days, forty blogs will be participating in a little monstrous mayhem and you're all invited to join us in the macabre merrymaking. Just click on the links provided with each post to make your way around to all the frightening blog festival fiends. So without further ado (and before I get myself into trouble for any more shameless abuse of alliteration), let's begin:

The word "monster" can mean many things. It can be an umbrella term for all the supernatural beings of the horror realm, or a convenient title for creatures who aren't as easily identified as, for example, a werewolf, vampire, zombie or mummy. It can be used to brand a person who seems inhumanly cruel, like a serial killer, or the perpetrator of genocide, but it can also be a lighthearted and humorous characterization of a rambunctious child. So with so much potential, where does one start? Well, with me, it's Frankenstein's Monster.

The Monster and the creature fashioned to be his Bride are amongst an elite handful of screen monsters whose images and names have become universally recognizable. Originally the creations of Mary Shelley, from her 1818 novel, Frankenstein, this iconic and creepy couple have influenced writers, film makers, and artists in countless ways since their inception, and have had a huge impact on popular culture, just a few examples of which, I have included here.


One of a kind Bride of Frankenstein doll by Barbie designer, Sharon Zuckerman



Made for Each Other by artist, Mike Bell



The Bride and Frankenstein Coffee Mugs by Burke & Hare Co. on Etsy



The Bathers by artist, Damian Fulton



Never the Bride, the first in the series of The Adventures of Brenda and Effie, by Paul Magrs

The Adventures of Brenda and Effie
is an ongoing series of novels that tell the story of the Bride of Frankenstein, who has reinvented herself as "Brenda", and has retired to the English seaside town of Whitby to run a B&B. With the help of her friend Effie, the two investigate spooky goings on in this town famous for featuring in Bram Stoker's, Dracula.




20 comments:

  1. I love The Bathers! Wow! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Elsa Lanchester! She is so beautiful, I wish I looked like her. Bride of Frankenstein is my favorite of the Frankenstein movies. I did my first MMM post of Frankenstein. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,

      Yes, Elsa Lanchester looks so fabulous as the Bride! I've just been over to see your post. Great minds!!! ;D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Jolie du Pre,

      Yes, they're such a cute idea!!! :)

      Delete
  4. And just what, pray tell, is wrong with the shameless abuse of alliteration? LOL

    Nice to see somebody else starting with the classics . . . I did a piece today about vampires as they used to be - scary and monstrous, instead of all sparkly and romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,

      Haha. Nothing! That's why I'm shameless! I'm sure I'm violating all kinds of standards for good writing. ;)

      I'm heading over to your blog next! Looking forward to a little non-sparkly vamp action! :D

      Delete
  5. Wow! The Bathers and Made for Each Other are gorgeous pieces of art! I could totally see Made for Each Other hanging in the Adams Family's den. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess,

      Oh, I hadn't thought about that, but you're quite right, I think 'Made for Each Other' would be a perfect addition to the Addams Family decor! :D

      Delete
  6. The Bathers totally took my breath away.

    And I love alliteration. Obviously. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi pensive,

      Yeah, 'The Bathers' is a fabulous painting. I can't stop looking at it!

      I adore alliteration! Hence the abuse. Haha. I'm also guilty of the unseemly overuse of ellipses... Again, shameless! ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, I've never heard of the series The Adventures of Brenda and Effie. Will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Bethezda,

      I've read the first book, 'Never the Bride', and enjoyed it. It's a quirky read. I'm going to continue on with the series. It's got kind of a 'Buffy' feel, except in this case, the Scoobies are all retirees! Haha.

      Delete
  8. One more vote for "The Bathers", Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,

      Yes, 'The Bathers' seems to be winning so far!

      Delete
  9. I've been in love with the Bride of Frankenstein since I was a teenager. I've always had a fondness for these kinds of monsters that weren't evil, but were lonely, misunderstood and misplaced creatures. I do have half of my arm tattooed with scenes from the film, and love getting to see it every day.
    I really enjoyed your first post for May Monster Madness. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Will,

      Yes, I remember your tattoo from the post you did on it. I just went over to your blog and took another peek. Awesome! And thank you! I had fun putting this post together! :)

      Delete
  10. Love the different pics of Frankenstein's Monster and his Bride. I also like how Coop does different variations of Frankenstein's monster and the Bride. Also the band Electric Frankenstein has some great Coop covers that they have used for their releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      Yeah, I could pretty much spend the entire week just on Frankenstein's Monster and the Bride. I wonder what Mary Shelley would think if she could see how iconic her characters have become?!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!