Sunday, May 6, 2012

May Monster Madness - Creepy and Kooky

Mr Straker and Mr Barlow

For day six of May Monster Madness, I've picked monsters from two of my all-time favourites, Salem's Lot and Beetlejuce, which are at opposite ends of the horror spectrum, and prove that great monsters can be very creepy or downright kooky.

I love both the Stephen King novel, Salem's Lot and the 1979 television mini-series that was based upon it. Mr Barlow, also known as the Master, and Mr Straker, his preternaturally strong human watchdog, remain for me, one of the most sinister duos of the horror genre. In the two part mini-series, Kurt Barlow (Reggie Nalder), is portrayed as a silent, terrifying Nosferatu-style creature, while Richard Straker, played chillingly by James Mason, is an urbane and mysterious Englishman who acts as a minder for his master and facilitates the killings.


As if Barlow and Straker weren't bad enough on their own, they also infect the town of Salem's Lot with vampirism and before long it is crawling with nightmarish vamps, the most unnerving amongst them, floating undead children who scratch at bedroom window panes,  and plead, in eerie whispers, to be allowed in.











Betelgeuse

At the other extreme there is Betelgeuse, the comical "ghost with the most", from Tim Burton's 1988 comedy horror, Beetlejuce. Played by Michael Keaton, Betelgeuse, is a grotesque and chaos-causing "bio-exorcist", or in other words, a ghost who scares away humans for other ghosts.

Beetlejuice the Animated Series

Beetlejuce was both a critical and financial success, and spawned an animated television series, executive-produced by Tim Burton, and based loosely on the film. The series focused on a friendship between Lydia Deetz and Beetlejuice.


I stumbled across a fantastic blog called Toy-A-Day that provides a free printable PDF to make the cute Beetlejuce paper sculpture that I've pictured above.

16 comments:

  1. That paper sculpture is adorbz :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandriaweb,

      Yes, he's cute isn't he! I'm going to make one as soon as I can find a little spare time! :)

      Delete
  2. I guess I need to see Salem's Lot. What is wrong with me? I love the to a day Beetlejuice. You find the most amazing things. My kids would love that and so would I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica,

      'Salem's Lot' is a little dated in parts, but in my opinion, it hasn't lost its creep factor at all!

      I've downloaded the PDF for Beetlejuice and I'll make him as soon as I can carve out a few spare moments! I've already got a spot ready for him on my desk! :)

      Delete
  3. Two great movies. I have a Beetlejuice character standing on my desk in my office. It's head spins...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adsila,

      I've got a bobble-head Jack Skellington on my desk, but your Beetlejuice sounds awesome!

      Delete
  4. Toy-A-Day has some great characters! I got a kick out of the Pee-wee Herman one. :) Did you try making the Beetlejuice one yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justine,

      I'm going to head back to Toy-A-Day and have a really good look around. I missed Pee-wee Herman, but I saw Edward Scissorhands, which I've downloaded along with Beetlejuice. I haven't tried making it yet because I only stumbled upon the blog yesterday. I'm definitely going to though, and James wants one too! :)

      Delete
  5. Two great choices. I also loved that Beetlejuice cartoon. I wish they would release it officially on dvd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      Thanks! :) Yes, it's crazy that they haven't released the animated series on DVD. I'm seriously considering getting the Blu-ray version of 'Beetlejuice' just for the couple of episodes that they have included as a bonus!

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen Salem's Lot since it originally aired. I'll have to track down a copy somewhere and re-visit it. I saw Beetlejuice several times in the theater and remember my Mom getting me a $20.00 used VHS copy for my birthday when it came out on video.
    Great choices once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Will,

      Thank you! :) I've only just re-watched both movies recently. It's pretty much an annual ritual for me. My son loves 'Beetlejuice', although he thinks 'Salem's Lot' could benefit from a little more blood... the kids today! Sigh. ;)

      Delete
  7. Beetlejuice is one of my favorite childhood movies. I also remember watching the animated series when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,

      Yeah, I love 'Beetlejuice' and the animated series was so cute! I wish they'd bring it out on DVD!

      Delete
  8. You just had to post THAT pic from Salem's Lot, didn't you? Yes, the one with the little kid scratching at the window. Now I've soiled myself and it's all your fault!!! Aaaargh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dr Blood,

      Haha. Making people soil their undergarments is little Ralphie Glick's special gift! ;)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!