Monday, October 24, 2011

Delightfully Dark Finds

Vagabond Cafe

There are many talented doll artists on Etsy, and one whose work I have admired for some time is Will, from Vagabond Cafe, which is both the name of his shop, and a fictional establishment that serves the "strange and unusual". A horror enthusiast, Will patches together wonderful little monsters, with colourful back stories, who inhabit a dark, imaginary world that he has created.

"I grew up with a healthy obsession with all things horror - films, books, magazines, art. It's still an obsession to this day and that is where a lot of my inspiration comes from. I'm also inspired by childrens books, fairy tales, squirrels, rabbits and any animals with personality.


For most of my life I've had dreams of being a filmmaker, photographer or writer. I think of the dolls I make as characters in a story I've written or a film I've made in my head."

See more of Will's work here and his Vagabond Cafe blog here.

17 comments:

  1. These are adorable. I also have a bit of an obsession with horror, but I tend to like the horror novel. I would love to teach a Horror Literature class someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can guess which one I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,

    Yes, they are adorable! I like horror novels, too! I'd love to take your Horror Literature class - although living in Australia might present a slight problem for me. Haha. I took a class in English Literature during a period when I was living in London. We were studying the novels of the Romantic movement like 'Dracula', and 'Frankenstein'. It was fabulous!

    Hi Dr Blood,

    Yes, I know which one. I picked it for you!

    Hi Dale the Doll,

    I could see you getting along famously with some of these little guys!

    Hi Aaron,

    Very cool, indeed! Will's blog is definitely worth checking out, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very morbidly cute. I can't choose a favorite but the one with pigtails is awesome. Thanks for sharing this dark find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really cute little monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These dolls are wild! I think I'd like them on my bed! Thanks for dropping by - I felt a lot better after reading what you said. :)
    Happy Halloween to you too! ~Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! Wildly creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vivienne,

    Yes, I love the sinister sweet combo! I agree, the pigtailed monster is awesome!

    Hi TriGirl,

    Cute little monsters, indeed! I'm glad I discovered Will's work!

    Hi occhio sulle espressioni,

    Si, sono molte bellissime!! I love Vagabond Cafe's dolls, too!!

    Hi Siobhan,

    Yes, they'd be wickedly fabulous en masse!

    My pleasure. I'm glad I could help in any small way. Blogger solidarity!! I'm looking forward to hearing about all your Halloween fun!

    Hi Lorelei,

    You're right! And very creatively inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! Etsy is a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jessica,

    I know! A treasure trove of goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, a wonderful find! I'm especially fond of the backgrounds he photographs his creations over. They add such a subtle touch of the odd to these characters.

    Looking over your own doll creations, there's definitely a feeling of "kindred spirits" happening here. These combined characters could all live along the same gloomy street.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi King Unicorn,

    Yes, I really like the backgrounds, too! They're so stylized, and yet give just enough detail that I find myself imagining haunted woods, cobwebbed attics, and other kooky, spooky locations.

    Oh, I love the idea of your gloomy street! A delightfully dark little world full of monsters, ghosts, graveyards, haunted woods, and Victorian Gothic mansions... happy sigh!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!