Thursday, August 25, 2011

Buffy Revisited

Principal Snyder: "My predecessor, Mr. Flutie, may have gone in for all that touchy-feely relating nonsense, but he was eaten. You're in my world now. And Sunnydale has touched and felt for the last time."


Ever since I posted the short film, Callalilly (here), I've had creepy dolls on my
mind, and creepy dolls have lead to thoughts of evil clowns and demon children.
As I continue to revisit Buffy, it's interesting to be reminded that all three archetypes are represented in the short, twelve episode, first season.

After hapless Principal Flutie is devoured by a pack of students possessed by hyena spirits, we are introduced to his unpleasant replacement, Principal Synder, in the episode, 'The Puppet Show'. Synder orders Giles to run the school talent show,
while Buffy, Willow, and Xander are recruited as unwilling performers. The Scoobies, however, are diverted from their life in the theatre by a sinister ventriloquist dummy, named Sid, who appears to be stalking the show.

In 'Nightmares', the residents of Sunnydale are subjected to their darkest dreams
and imaginings suddenly manifesting in physical form. Xander finds himself being pursued by a knife wielding clown in the episode, but he faces his childhood terror, and strikes a vicarious blow for all those suffering from coulrophobia (fear of clowns) in the process.

Then we have the Anointed One. In spite of his innocent visage, he is a vampire
child who wants nothing more than to see the Slayer, and the good folk of Sunnydale, dead. The Anointed One proves that one should never underestimate the abilities of
a sinister kiddie, especially when Giles discovers an ancient prophecy stating that young Collin will be the little devil responsible for leading Buffy to her death at the hands of the Master.

Collin proved he had tenacity, too. While the doll and the clown were each
dispatched within the space of a forty minute episode, the Anointed One was
a recurring character who became something of a Mini-Me for the Master throughout Season One. In fact, even though the season finale is imminent, and as such, the Master's demise is at hand, that pesky little demon child is not destined to get his comeuppance... not yet, anyway.

14 comments:

  1. I miss Buffy. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stuck on "hapless Principal Flutie is devoured by a pack of students possessed by hyena spirits" :)

    This show sounds so funny in writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love Buffy, I recently watched all seven series with my ten year old daughter in two weeks while she was off school with a broken arm,got really into it with her though had to cover her eyes a few times!, season six and seven got a little steamy what with willow and all.Her favorate was the musical buffy so funny love spikes let me rest in peace song classic.She put the subtitles on and sang along.
    lisa fee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica,

    When I embarked on re-watching the entire series from the beginning, I was wondering whether it would prove to have dated a little, but I'm loving it! It's also a fascinating social history. I'm playing a waiting game to see when the first cell phone shows up!!

    Hi Justine,

    I know!! Haha! It all sounds crazy but it's just so great!!

    Hi Lisa,

    A "Buffy" marathon sounds like the ultimate bonding session! I love the musical episode, too, and particularly Spike's song! Then again, I just love anything to do with Spike!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa Fee said ....


    Me too he is so funny can't beleive they killed him off at the end too cruel, me and Mya were shouting at the tv, at least he got to be a hero though.Any suggestions for other series my daughter Mya might like she has already got through charmed, we love that too, I have two sisters laura and leanne we are L3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you'll have to watch the "Buffy" spinoff, "Angel"! Spike's character moves over to "Angel" after he saves the world on "Buffy". I don't want to give too much away, but there is a resurrection of sorts!

    Your daughter might like "Roswell". It's about alien teenagers, so the theme is extraterrestrial rather than supernatural, but it's set around a high school and there's a strong music soundtrack all the way through the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa Fee said.....

    Angel sounds good, I have heard of it before, good idea, didn't know Spike was in it.Will check it out.
    Not heard of Roswell before will look on amazon. If it's extraterrestrail she wil prob like it as she is a big Dr Who fan.I Will too, my mum was into star trek so grew with it, love aliens, might write an alein story right now thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love David Tennant as Dr Who! Your daughter has great taste! I'm sure she'd enjoy "Roswell". And an alien story would be cool - look forward to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa Fee said....

    David Tennent was our favourite too! Mya cyied when he regenerated bless her, she calls Matt Smith ugly face.
    p.s my husbands nickname was Spike when I first met him, though that was because of his spikey hair not because he had a habit of torturing people with railroad spikes unfortuantely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! I'm very glad to hear that your husband doesn't torture anyone with railroad spikes!!

    And I agree with your daughter - poor Matt Smith is not a hottie!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only saw Buffy a few episodes and checked out the comics a few years ago. reading this I am thinking of watching it from the beginning. thanks for the heads-up on this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Miss Bobo,

    I'm really enjoying re-watching it from the beginning. I didn't realize how much I missed all the Buffy-speak, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really miss Buffy. My favourite was always Willow, especially when she decided to get into magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maiden of Nature,

    At least we can relive Buffy through the DVDs! I liked it when Willow got into the magic, too. It was good that all the characters evolved and had their own important role to play, rather than just being Buffy's sidekicks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!