Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Buffy Revisited

Buffy:  "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."

The last time I re-watched any Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a couple of years ago and then it was just seasons 5, 6, and 7, so it was with a certain amount of trepidation that I made the commitment this week to start again from the first episode. It will probably be a long journey because I really haven't got the time to watch the show in marathon chunks, and after Season 3, I will need to start watching Angel, too, in order to keep the crossover episodes in chronological order.

So I'm five episodes in, and it's fascinating, and a little frightening, to see how young the cast all look. I can't believe that the first season was made in 1996. Sarah Michelle Gellar is so baby-faced and I am trying to remember if girls really were wearing the mini-dresses and go-go boots that she sports in the early Buffy days.

The other thing that struck me was the lack of cell phones. The idea of teenagers without cell phones is almost inconceivable, now. Giles keeps tabs on Buffy via a beeper.

Granted, some of the monsters, like the sexually predatory teacher who turns into a giant praying mantis, are sort of ridiculous, but somehow the show is so charming that I don't care. All in all, I'm looking forward to Buffy revisited.

And, I had forgotten how much I had missed the Master until he poked one of his minions in the eyeball with a sharpened fingernail, and uttered the words, "Hold on... You've got something in your eye."

8 comments:

  1. Loved this show. It only got better with time (although 5 and 6 kinda lost their way a bit). You've only to watch Clueless to know the midriff-baring, mini-skirt wearing, chunky heel look was alive and well then. 1996 would have been only a couple of years after I graduated high school. This was a big college fave at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to Season 2, and the arrival of Spike and Drusilla! When I first started watching 'Buffy', years ago, the show was already into Season 2. I liked it so much that I had to backtrack and catch up on the first season. Season 1 was still finding its way, but I love the Master and his sarcastic comments.

    For some reason, the nineties are just a blur to me, fashion-wise - other decades had such a definitive look - but I guess the clothes in Season 1 just go to prove that there was a style particular to the nineties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the sexually predatory teacher who turns into a giant praying mantis" Haha! That's a plot line I don't remember! Now you're making me want to watch this series all over again.

    That's an interesting point about the cell phones. Yeah, It's hard to find a teenager who isn't in the middle of texting now. Haha, beepers! That is going back in the day! I remember the kids at my high school who had beepers. That was such a big deal at one point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss French was a sexy substitute science teacher who was trying to mate with the teenage boys in order to fertilize her eggs (I can't believe I'm typing this). Xander and the other victims are all mortified to learn she only preys on virgins!

    And yes, the beeper thing seems bizarre, now. It just goes to show how quickly technology has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, and I can't believe I just read that! :) I'm sure a lot of teenage boys enjoyed that episode.

    Yes, technology is moving so fast now that it is almost hard to keep up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'm sure the sexy teacher seduction is a popular fantasy for teenage boys. Perhaps not so much the mantis part where she kills them after mating. Although... I suspect there are some teenage boys who would be willing to risk it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, 1996 is when it first came on really?? I think I only watched the first season, I wanted to get into that series recently but I haven't got around to it yet.

    I do remember the mini skirts and clunky go go boots. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I would always recommend watching 'Buffy'! I've converted a few people in my time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!